Archive for the 'rampant consumerism' Category
An Orgy of Self-Congratulation, Grandstanding & Overconsumption : Matador Artists & Staff Select Their 2012 FavoritesBy Gerard on Wednesday, December 12th, 2012
(above : angry mob reacts to the news that at least two or 3 people didn’t even mention the Total Control 7″)
Around this time every year, your
overpaid overworked editor attempts to coax a list of favorite recordings, books, television programs, life events, etc. out of the label’s artist roster and our rock biz colleagues. In the past, the exercise has been an arduous process, fraught with nagging, teeth-gnashing and no shortage of reluctant participants. In more recent times, however, the serial oversharing epidemic that’s run rampant throughout all online activity has infected our bands and staff alike. The rhetorical question, “who fucking asked you?” cannot be applied in this instance, because they were all asked. For some historical perspective, here’s last year’s pile. Questions or comments about our lousy tastes and/or blatant omissions are welcome (but not necessarily appreciated). And away we go!
Today we’re psyched to tell you that OLE-981 is the Matador Records & True Panther Sounds’ 2012 Intended Play Sampler hits shelves on January 14. This (insanely) budget-priced vinyl sampler showcases new tracks and now-classics from the Matador/True Panther syndicate circa 2011-2012, and much like the Cherry Red sampler from which this LP finds inspiration, is destined to rank at #1 on all music retail charts.
Oh, did we mention its costs $1.98!?!
The comp features unreleased tracks from: THE YOUNG (Austin, TX – Matador debut Spring 2012), CEREMONY (Rohnert Park, CA – Hysteria 7” coming February 2012), LEE RANALDO (from
Between the Times & The Tides, March 20), PERFUME GENIUS (sophomore album, Put Your
Back Into It, February ), STEPHEN MALKMUS & THE JICKS (unreleased track from Mirror Traffic
sessions) and True Panther bros, TANLINES.
The album also features 2011 favorites, GIRLS (from Father, Son, Holy Ghost on True Panther), KURT VILE (from So Outta Reach EP), ESBEN & THE WITCH (Hexagons EP, first time on vinyl), FUCKED UP (from the David Comes To Life companion 7″) & COLD CAVE (exclusive re-mix/remaster of the Cherish The Light Years favorite).
Revisit your favorites from 2011, and get a preview of 2012 from your friends at Matador Records and True
Panther Sounds for under two dollars!
1 THE YOUNG – Don’t Hustle For Love*
2 KURT VILE – Life’s A Beach
3 GIRLS – My Ma
4 CEREMONY – Hysteria*
5 TANLINES – TBA
6 LEE RANALDO – Off The Wall*
7 FUCKED UP – Into The Light
8 ESBEN & THE WITCH – Hexagons II
9 PERFUME GENIUS – All Waters*
10 COLD CAVE – Confetti (edit)
11 STEPHEN MALKMUS & THE JICKS – Polvo*
Pre-order it HERE or find it in your favorite vinyl retailer on 1/17)
Head over to Amazon MP3 to grab the following for a new low price of $6.99 from 11/21-29, as part of their Black Friday Hits promotion.
You can also find these titles on the popular CD & vinyl formats at the Matador webstore, or your favorite local indie retailer.
On September 28, on the eve of the label’s 21st anniversary celebration in Las Vegas, the Matador at 21 box set lands in stores. The limited-edition box contains five CDs documenting the history of the label with remastered songs released from 1989 through 2010, and one CD of unreleased live recordings from the Matador 10th Anniversary concerts in New York City in 1999. These were recorded to multitrack via the Rolling Stones Mobile Truck and not mixed down until now.
As shown above, the set comes in a blue-grey foil-stamped linen-bound box. The six CDs sit in custom digipaks. An 85-page perfect-bound book documents the history of the label with essays, photos, ephemera, emails and more. In addition, the box holds 36 custom Matador poker chips in three values.
The release has been assigned the catalog number OLE-1000, which is pushing it a little bit because we’re really only up to OLE-949 (the upcoming Kurt Vile 7″) in the main sequence. A budget-priced double vinyl set reproduces the contents of Disc 5, ‘Matador Today,’ and will be available on the same day as the box. All proceeds from the set will go to benefit three charities chosen by the label owners, enumerated at the bottom of this post. The artists have graciously agreed to donate their royalties as well in order to make this all possible.*
DISC 1 – THE PRE-DAWN (1989-1992)
1. Teenage Fanclub – Everything Flows
2. H.P. Zinker – Dancing Days
3. Superchunk – Slack Motherfucker
4. Dustdevils – Throw the Bottle Full
5. Railroad Jerk – These Streets
6. Come – Fast Piss Blues
7. Bettie Serveert – Kid’s Alright
8. Chain Gang – Cut Off The Drug Czar’s Head
9. Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 – More Glee
10. Unsane – This Town
11. Circle X – Compression of the Species
12. Toiling Midgets – Mr. Foster’s Shoes
13. Bailter Space – The Today Song
14. Pavement – Perfume-V
DISC TWO – THE YEARS OF MILK AND HONEY (1993-1995)
1. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion – Afro
2. Yo La Tengo – Big Day Coming
3. Railroad Jerk – The Ballad of Railroad Jerk
4. Helium – Superball
5. Pizzicato Five – Baby Love Child
6. Liz Phair – Mesmerizing
7. Pavement – Silence Kit
8. Guided By Voices – Game Of Pricks
9. 18th Dye – Whole Wide World
10. Chavez – Peeled Out Too Late
11. Come – String
12. Moonshake – Secondhand Clothes
13. Guitar Wolf – Midnight Violence Rock’n Roll
14. San Francisco Seals – Back Again
15. Bardo Pond – Rumination
DISC 3: DAYS OF WHISKEY AND TEARS (1996-2001)
1. Boards Of Canada – Telephasic Workshop
2. Spoon – Waiting For The Kid To Come Out
3. Yo La Tengo – Autumn Sweater
4. Chavez – You Must Be Stopped
5. Silkworm – Tarnished Angel
6. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion – Flavor Part 1 (Beck)
7. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion – Flavor Part 2 (Mike D)
8. Pole – Fliegen
9. Cat Power – American Flag
10. Belle & Sebastian – We Rule The School
11. Mogwai – Helps Both Ways
12. Arsonists – Backdraft
13. Large Professor – ‘Bout That Time
14. Cornelius – Tone Twilight Zone
15. burger/ink – Flesh & Blood
16. Pavement – You Are A Light
17. Arab Strap – Blood
18. Matmos – L.A.S.I.K
DISC FOUR: DON’T CALL IT A COMEBACK (2002-2007)
1. Interpol – Hands Away
2. Cat Power – He War
3. Yo La Tengo – Today Is The Day
4. The New Pornographers – From Blown Speakers
5. Dizzee Rascal – Fix Up, Look Sharp
6. Dead Meadow – Good Moanin’
7. Mogwai – Kids Will Be Skeletons
8. Mission Of Burma – The Setup
9. Early Man – Death Is The Answer
10. Belle & Sebastian – Dress Up In You
11. Pretty Girls Make Graves – All Medicated Geniuses
12. Cat Power – Love & Communication
13. Shearwater - Johnny Viola
14. Brightblack Morning Light – Everybody Daylight
15. Lavender Diamond – You Broke My Heart
16. Jennifer O’Connor – Tonight We Ride
16. Earles & Jensen – Just Farr A Laugh: The Yogurt Machine
17. Stephen Malkmus – Discretion Grove
DISC FIVE: MATADOR TODAY (2008 – )
1. Fucked Up – Son The Father
2. Sonic Youth – Sacred Trickster
3. Kurt Vile – Amplifier
4. Yo La Tengo – Nothing to Hide
5. Jay Reatard – There Is No Sun
6. Times New Viking – Move To California
7. Harlem – Friendly Ghost
8. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Bottled In Cork
9. The New Pornographers – My Shepherd
10. Cold Cave - Youth and Lust
11. Interpol – Summer Well
12. Shearwater - Castaways
13. Esben and the Witch – Marching Song
14. Girls – Lust For Life
15. Magic Kids – Superball
16. Delorean – Stay Close
17. Cat Power – Metal Heart
18. Perfume Genius – Learning
19. Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks – Real Emotional Trash
DISC SIX: UNRELEASED LIVE RECORDINGS FROM THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERTS, NEW YORK CITY, SEPTEMBER 1999
1. Pavement – Here (Live 1999)
2. Pavement – Trigger Cut (Live 1999)
3. Pavement – The Hexx (Live 1999)
4. Pavement – She Believes (Live 1999)
5. Pavement – Unfair (Live 1999)
6. Pavement – Zurich Is Stained (Live 1999)
7. Pavement – Debris Slide (Live 1999)
8. Pavement – Spit On A Stranger (Live 1999)
9. Come – New Coats (Live 1999)
10. Bardo Pond – Walking Stick Man (Live 1999)
11. Bardo Pond – Tommy Gun Angel (Live 1999)
12. Cat Power – Good Woman (Live 1999)
13. Cat Power – Naked, If I Want To (Live 1999)
14. Cat Power – You May Know Him / Sea Of Love (Live 1999)
15. Mogwai – Ex-Cowboy (Live 1999)
The Jane Addams Hull House Association, a Chicago, IL non-profit that’s been assisting the city’s neediest families (child welfare, domestic violence prevention, literacy-advocacy, etc.) since 1889.
The Ali Forney Center (NYC-based provider of shelter and counseling for homeless gay, lesbian and transgender youth)
The Heart Institute at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (non-profit public hospital and a world leader in pediatric lifesaving)
Matador at 21 will be in stores on September 28. You can preorder it now from the Matador Store.
Matador at 21: The Lost Weekend takes place at the Palms Resort and Casino in Las Vegas from October 1-3, 2010. This event is sponsored by MySpace Music, Altamont and Incase.
If you haven’t heard Delorean‘s (recently BNM‘d) Subiza yet, hear it now in its full glory on HERE
Pre-order from Matador Store and get instant mp3 download HERE
Also, you can buy a crisp new Delorean T-shirt that comes with an instant mp3 download of the album.
Digital music wear? MP3-Tee? Call it what you want. We wish we could just plug headphones into this shirt and go to the beach, but for now this is the best we can do, and frankly it seems pretty good. Order T-shirt (w/album download) HERE
My personal Record Store Day nightmare involves sleeping thru an 8am wake up call and by the time I show up at my favorite record shop, all the cool shit is gone and all that’s left is the limited (but not limited enough) Godsmack 7″.
So with that in mind, we’re encouraging you to get plenty of sleep Friday night, especially those of you in or near Claremont, California. On Saturday —- the day before playing Coachella — Yo La Tengo will be playing Rhino Records at 3pm. The last time I visited this establishment, I found one of these, so you might wanna turn up early. Unless you’re into Godsmack, in which case I reckon you can take your time.
It’s snowing like crazy here in NYC but True Panther Sounds remains bundled up, huddled away and working hard. Taking a few precious moments every day to find good youtube videos, but also putting out a bunch of records. Wanted to give y’all the latest update in the True Panther Universe..
This last Tuesday, 3/23, we released two brand new records.
Hunx and His Punx‘ “Gay Singles”
We initially released a limited vinyl pressing this last year, but after blowing through them we re-pressed it on LP/CD/DA. It now has slightly different cover art, a cd that includes all the videos, better quality vinyl, and a free mp3 download with each record. PLUS it’s cheaper than before. The songs are classic glammy, and gay. They’ve gotten better with each listen. Lookout for national and international tour dates in the next few months.
Order HERE (and get a free Chiphunx CD)
U Don’t Like Rock’nRoll (mp3)
Morning Benders “Promises” 7″
This is a limited edition single from one of our favorite new bands. Their record is coming out on Rough Trade, but this first single is all ours! It’s limited and features an exclusive b-side “Oh Annie”, a more plaintive and restrained version of the band. Enjoy!
We’re also putting out 3 brand new 12″/digital records on March 9th! New releases from Tanlines, Lemonade, and Janka Nabay. Each record is a totally unique incantation of the dance music spirits- Janka electrified the Bubu dance music of his native Sierra Leone, Lemonade mixed every kind of electronic music from the last 30 years in a big caribbean fruit salad, and Tanlines are making “new music” , coalesced from tropical sounds and restrained house. We’re just going to call it all “Yes Wave”.
Get all three records in a bundle for only $25 and get instant downloads of the singles and a few exclusive remixes. Order HERE
We’re also having a big show to celebrate the release of the 12″s. Hope to see some of you in the New York are there!
That’s it for the update for now. Hope you enjoy the records. We have some great stuff on the burners for the new year, full-lengths from Glasser and Magic Kids. Releases from Teengirl Fantasy, The Bitters, and Real Estate. Stoked!!
Don’t forget now, hear? Spiral Stairs live instore TONIGHT at Sonic Boom Ballard. Dig.
Because just when we thought you couldn’t go and get any better, you go ahead and do something totally awesome like making this killer Yo La Tengo window display to celebrate today’s release of “Popular Songs.”
So if you find yourself in Bloomington, Indiana and you happen to pass by Landlocked Music be sure to stop in and tell them that we love them… very, very much.