Ten years ago, Interpol’s debut album seized the imagination of a generation. The spare, lean textures, darkly oblique lyrics and suave stage presence were entirely different from the bands who preceded them on the charts and the radio.
Now on November 19, we are commemorating Turn On The Bright Lights with a Tenth Anniversary Edition, fully remastered in a beautiful deluxe hardbound book with unreleased photos (48 pages in the CD, 28 large pages in the vinyl) and a second disc of bonus tracks, many unreleased, plus demos and B-sides and a DVD.
The album will be available as a double CD+DVD, double LP+DVD, and digital album with digital booklet. Preorders will come with a replica of the band’s first piece of merchandise, a button with the original Interpol logo.
THE ORIGINAL ALBUM, REMASTERED:
2. Obstacle 1
5. Say Hello To The Angels
6. Hands Away
7. Obstacle 2
8. Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down
10. The New
11. Leif Erikson
THE BONUS MATERIAL:
1. Interlude (iTunes single) §
2. Specialist (Interpol EP)
3. PDA (First Demo, 1998)
4. Roland (First Demo, 1998)
5. Get The Girls (Song 5) (First Demo, 1998)
6. Precipitate (2nd Demo, 1999) §
7. Song Seven (Original Version) (2nd Demo, 1999) §
8. A Time To Be So Small (Orig Version) (2nd Demo,1999)
9. Untitled (Third Demo, 2001) * =
10. Stella (Third Demo, 2001) * =
11. NYC (Third Demo, 2001) =
12. Leif Erikson (Third Demo, 2001) * =
13. Gavilan (Cubed) (Third Demo, 2001) †
14. Obstacle 2 (Peel Session, 2001) =
15. Hands Away (Peel Session, 2001) =
16. The New (Peel Session, 2001) * =
17. NYC (Peel Session, 2001) * =
§ unreleased on vinyl
* unreleased recording
† unreleased song
= in the vinyl package, this track is only included on the bonus coupon
– The 3 music videos: PDA, NYC, Obstacle 1
– Mercury Lounge, NYC concert footage, May 2000 (Sam’s first show with the band, multi-camera shoot)
– The Troubadour, Los Angeles concert footage, September 2002 (professional multi-camera shoot)
The band writes:
In 2002, we released our first album, Turn On the Bright Lights. We had waited close to five years for the opportunity to record an album. Needless to say this was a memorable moment for us. We never had any expectations for how the album would be received. We just wanted to present our music as an album to anyone who would be open to hearing it. It was incredible to finally tour and see people react to these songs. We never could have imagined that the album would have reached so many people throughout the world.
We spent a good deal of time this past year digging through our archives and asking others to dig through theirs in the hopes of uncovering some forgotten material. The result of our hunting and gathering has yielded this Tenth Anniversary Edition of Turn On the Bright Lights. We wanted to do something special for the fans who have always supported us. We wanted to do something special for the best fans in the world. We hope you enjoy it.