There's some major announcements to behold in the last Matador news update of '06, along with a sprawling list of the well-connected & their pals' Favorite Records/Books/Films/Whatever from the year about to conclude. The second portion of which, if you're too lazy to click on the above link, can be found right here :
Roger Miller, Mission Of Burma,
Current Fave CD: Rodrigo and Gabriela
Mexican acoustic guitar duo who started off playing heavy metal (the DVD that accompanies this disc is hysterical – showing them swinging their hair in that phase just like they were supposed to do; and the interviews with Gabriela are both funny and beautiful), got sick of the sameness/lameness, switched to acoustic guitars, and proceeded to kick ass and become rather huge in their home-country (and Ireland……).
Rodrigo playes very excellent lead melodies in an odd mix of heavy rock and flamenco/Mexicali stylizations, but it's Gabriela that is the most interesting guitarist I have heard in two decades.
While most current rock guitarists (given the percentage, it's extremely likely this includes you) are content to learn a couple feeble-minded licks and prance about like retarded dandies onstage, Gabriela put together a style that is simultaneously mind-boggling and natural. I'm not just whistling dixie here – she is the best rhythm-guitarist I have ever heard in my life (this CD is about her chording and percussive work, not Rodrigo's melodies) – you'd swear there was a drummer, but it's just her whapping the fucking guitar between killer rhythmic strumming and picking out melodies, and generally sounding like 3 virtuoso players simultaneously. Once you focus out Rodgrigo's melodies and realize that EVERYTHING ELSE is coming from her, it is a totally humbling experience.
Verdict: These two Mexicans will whip your gringo rock ass all the way to the border. So wake up and get to work, motherfucker, or you will be the one they won't let over the barbed wire. (other option – just stop playing now. It will save the Mexican Government from having to waste money on border patrols).
Derek Fudesco, Pretty Girls Make Graves
1. Manifest Festival Internacional, Mexico City
2. House on the Rock, Wisconsin Dells
3. Superwolf ( I know this came out in 2005, but I didnt fall in love with it until 2006)
4. The Bad Beat
5. Bun Thit Nuong
6. I Am a Sex Addict by Caveh Zahedi
7. Pink Mountaintops "Axis of Evol"
8. The Electric Classical
9. Tarte l'Alsace
10. You Tube
Scott Kannberg, Preston School Of Industry
the dudes: cdr of a great calgary band
sun city girls: live thing on threelobbed
fleetwood mac: bare trees
psych furs: first record
c beefhart: clear spot (can't believe i ever traded away my signed copy to sm for the stranglers' raven 3d cover)
pere ubu live in sf: holy shit! first time seeing em. one of the weirdest bands i've ever seen. reminded me of seeing sf punk bands back in the early 80's.
led zep cd reissues: fuck you fopp for making these so cheap.
vancouver bc: sushi, dim sum, and seafood at joe fortes. and the sky train (i bet black mountain has a song).
m & l records seattle: finally got the seattle map from 1950.
bunnymen: live in liverpool early 80's (on youtube)
2 inches of snow last week: more please!
playing juke box songs for lombardi: they were all matador bands. then i played the bands who they should've signed (rem wouldn't have been one).
cat power live in seattle: holy shit! amazing stuff (who was the dick who yelled "what's with the sign language?" and "where's eddie?")
pitchfork.com: i can't believe they still love me.
danny rogers late night in sydney: st. jeromes laneway fest!
broken social scene: it's all love for these hippies. i hope i made em laugh.
kelley stoltz: beneath the branches (or anything he does).
mark ibold playing bass with sonic youth: holy shit! the perfect choice.
sm's wedding: sm breaking the coconut. and supposedly i spilt wine.
turned 40: played golf with my dad in scotland. pussed out on the black flag tat.
london and paris: sophie singing, mb's scars, the waiter on his knees, warren's beard, and the dundee man.
link wray: link wray and beans and fatback
mat everett and the doctor: seafood feast on the mornington p.
scratch acid live in seattle: last show ever. crazy fucking dan!
mark o, jesper, frank, and matador: for ruling on the wowee reissue.
cory and scott: for finding strayfire.
cache: michael haneke film
playtime: criterion release
m sasek: "this is" reissues.
and renton laidlaw
Stuart Braithwaite, Mogwai
1 Country Teasers – The Empire Strikes Back
2 Joanna Newsom -YS
3 Arab Strap – 10 years Of Tears
4 Arctic Monkeys – Whatever
5 Growing – color wheel
6 The Goslings – The Grandeur Of Hair
Miwa Okumura, Beggars Group
Highlights of 2006
Tying the knot
Playstation's Guitar Hero
Discovering Jersey City
The Spirit of the Beehive directed by Victor Erice
Shortbus directed by John Cameron Mitchell
Bonnie Prince Billy The Letting Go
The Roots Game Theory
Belle and Sebastian The Life Pursuit
Beirut Gulag Orkestar
Yo La Tengo I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan
Spumoni Gardens, Bensonhurst Brooklyn
Jennifer O'Connor Over The Mountain, Across The Valley and Back to the Stars
Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia Volume II
Adam Farrell, Beggars Group
Favorite Concert Moments
– Belle at the 'Bowl – Stuart Murdoch eggs the crowd to rush the Hollywood Bowl stage and the dance party erupts.
– Justice at Studio B (CMJ) – Crazy anticipation. Very European vibe. I was two drinks away from digging electronic music again.
– The A-Sides at the Philebrity Weekender – Warehouse. N. Philly. Even with only 20 people sticking it out until the 2am set time, these guys roared to life out of no where…best wishes with your label gentleman.
– Acid House Kings "Sing Along With Acid House Kings"- If Kings of Convenience were a girl, happier, more influenced by Steely Dan and from another part of Scandinavia…these might be them.- Meg Baird "Title TBD (Solo For Tequila Sunrise)" – I've deleted Pink Moon from my iPod and am just rollin' with this as my rainy day delight.- Swallows and Swallows (S/t) – Dominic East takes his first solo shot and scribes a happily melancholic, country-tinged, pick-me-up soundtrack to break up with your girlfriend to.
Top Classic Jams Added To The 12" Collection
– Slick Rick f. Outkast "Street Talkin'"
– Jurassic 5 "Verbal Gunfight"
– BBD "Da Hot Shit"
Rachelle Rahme, Beggars Group
2007 – IN FASHION
nuggets of silver
cult of glycon (CA)
nepenthes and wine
Fred Navarette, Beggars Group
texas is the reason, two nights at irving plaza after being gone for ten years
chavez, warsaw, one night after being gone for some time
radiohead at the greek theater in LA, awesome!
basement jaxx, wow, amazing live at webster hall
cmj 2006, yeah didn't get to see too many great shows, but had a wonderful time with everyone at my last cmj as a radio guy.
sparky's on lafayette street best hotdogs, burgers, and jalepeno fries
lombardi's pizza and six point ale, a match made in heaven
mexican food in LA. , it's so much better there
wine tastings in connecticut
hot dogs in the skybox at the louisville bats game
lamb at the beggars/matador holiday party, plus the great company
Clearlake – Amber – Domino
Film School – S/T – Beggars Banquet
I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness – Fear Is On Our Side – Secretly Canadian
Mew – And The Handed Kites – Sony
Thom Yorke – The Eraser – XL Recordings
Editors – The Back Room – Kitchenware/Fader
TV On The Radio – Return To Cookie Mountain – 4AD
Muse – Black Holes And Revelations – Warner
Placebo – Meds – Astralwerks
Serena-Maneesh – S/T – Playlouder Recordings
piper lupita navarrete (she's the cutest and bestest)
Laurent Rossi, Beggars Group
BEST ALBUMS OF 2006
1/ TV ON THE RADIO "Return To Cookie Mountain"
2/ EL PERRO DEL MAR "El Perro Del Mar"
3/ CAT POWER "The Greatest"
4/ LUPE FIASCO "Food & Liquor"
5/ CHAMILLIONAIRE "The Sound Of Revenge"
6/ M.WARD "Post-War"
7/ YO LA TENGO "I'm Not Affraid Of You and I will Beat Your Ass"
8/ THE GAME "Doctor's Advocate"
9/ JASON COLLETT "Idols Of Exile"
10/ REGINA SPEKTOR "Begin To Hope"
11/ MOJAVE 3 "Puzzles Like You"
12/ NICOLE WILLIS "Keep Reachin' Up"
13/ SPINTO BAND "Nice & Nicely Done"
14/ SERENA MANEESH "Serena-Maneesh"
15/ THOM YORKE "The Eraser"
BEST SINGLES OF 2006
1/ TV ON THE RADIO "Wolf Like Me"
2/ CHAMILLIONAIRE "Riddin'"
3/ REGINA SPEKTOR "Fidelity"
4/ AKON feat EMINEM "Smack That"
5/ THE RACONTEURS "Steady As She Goes"
6/ THE GAME feat JUNIOR REID "It's Okay (One Blood)"
7/ JUSTICE vs. SIMIAN "We Are Your Friends"
8/ JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE "Sexyback"
9/ ARCTIC MONKEYS "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor"
10/ SERENA-MANEESH "Drain Cosmetic"
Birgit Heuzeroth, Beggars Group
The Flaming Lips – At War With the Mystics
Cat Power – The Greatest
TV on the Radio – Return To Cookie Mountain
Wolfmother – Wolfmother
Bonnie Prince Billy – The Letting Go
Beirut – Gulag Orkestar
The Lemonheads – TL
Tommy Guerrero – From the Soil to the Soul
Scritti Politti – White Bread Black Beer
Yo La Tengo – I am not afraid
Flaming Lips @ Markthalle, Hamburg
Devastations @ White Trash, Berlin
Serena-Maneesh @ Vice BBQ, Austin
Cat Power @ Volksbühne, Berlin
M. Ward @ Molotow, Hamburg
I Like Trains @ Mudd Club, Berlin
Rogers Sisters @ Molotow, Hamburg
The Devil Wears Prada
Annette Lee, Beggars Group
Good things that have happened to me this year, in no particular order of importance (because that would require powers of thought and organisation of which I am sorely lacking):
1. Seeing Radiohead play in an actual venue (as opposed to in a tent or on a pyramid-shaped stage in the freezing cold).
2. Watching Hidden and spending the next hour after the movie in a state of complete bewilderment and confusion.
3. Seeing The Rogers Sisters' triumphant (and very sweaty) headline show at The Barfly, Camden.
4. Watching Oneida, Celebration, TV On The Radio & Yeah Yeah Yeahs followed by a particularly stunning sunrise on the beach @ All Tomorrow's Parties, first weekend.
5. The impromptu afternoon "members-only" party in Chalet 51 (complete with homemade cocktails) @ All Tomorrow's Parties, second weekend.
6. Helping to knit a <a xhref="http://www.knittingsite.org/">house</a>
7. Great holidays with some great friends in Paris and Austria.
8. Finally buying a camera and putting it to good use.
9. Jumping on the bandwagon and starting a <a href+"http://www.threepinkmonkeys.blogspot.com">blog</a>
10. Ice-skating by the Tower of London and not falling over
11. Not having to go to a wedding this year.
12. Finding out I'm going to be an aunt. God help that poor child if I ever have to babysit.
Matt Harmon, Beggars Group
Dan Higgs "Ancestral Songs (Holy Mountain)
Six Organs of Admittance "The Sun Awakens" (Drag City)
Shearwater "Palo Santo" (Misra)
MV/EE with the Bummer Road "Green Blues" (Ecstatic Peace)
Oakley Hall "Gypsum Strings" (Brah Records)
Liars "Drums Not Dead" (Mute)
Be Your Own Pet s/t (Ecstatic Peace)
Clientele "Strange Geometry" (Merge) -I know it came out in 2005 but i got into it this year
<http://www.ecstaticpeace.com/>http://www.ecstaticpeace.com/ – released two of my favorite albums this year and kings of the live footage quicktime video posts
<http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/>http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/ – architecture, urban planning and future worlds
<http://www.brownstoner.com/>http://www.brownstoner.com/ – the scoop on local brooklyn housing concerns
<http://www.coudal.com/>http://www.coudal.com – design, company, ad agency, blog and the home of the Museum of Online Museums
<http://www.thingsmagazine.net/>http://www.thingsmagazine.net/ – a little bit of this and a little bit of that
<http://www.designobserver.com/>http://www.designobserver.com/ – missives on design and cultural concerns brought to you by Michael Bierut, Jessica Helfand, Rick Poynor and more
<http://www.mayahayuk.com/>http://www.mayahayuk.com – show posters, skate decks, one Oakley Hall album cover, one Awesome Color video…
Looking forward to 2007…
P.G. Six "Slightly Sorry"
Mike Wexler "Sun Wheel"
Joel Hunt, Beggars Group
1. Scott Walker, "The Drift" (4AD)
2. Pissed Jeans, "Shallow" (Parts Unknown)
3. Wzt Hearts, "Heat Chief" (Hoss)
4. The Weird Weeds, "Weird Feelings" (Sounds Are Active)
5. Joanna Newsom, "Ys" (Drag City)
6. Daniel (A.I.U.) Higgs, "Ancestral Songs" (Holy Mountain)
7. Brightblack Morning Light, s/t (Matador)
8. Valley of Ashes, "Cavehill Hunters Attrition" (Black Velvet Fuckere)
9. White Magic, "Dat Rosa Mel Apibus" (Drag City)
10. Charlemagne Palestine and Tony Conrad, "An Aural Symbiotic Mystery" (Sub Rosa)
Best Live Shows:
1. The Dead C., at ATP's Nightmare Before Christmas, Butlin's at Minehead, UK, December.
2. Blues Control at Goodbye Blue Monday, Brooklyn, September.
3. Dinosaur Jr./Mouthus at Warsaw, Brooklyn, August (sorry about the stuff getting stolen afterwards).
4. Sleater-Kinney/The Rogers Sisters at Webster Hall, Manhattan, August.
5. Home Blitz/Guitar Trips/Greyskull/Horsespirit Penetrates/Watersports at a random bodega in Bushwick, Brooklyn, June.
1. "You're Gonna Miss Me," a documentary about Roky Erikson.
2. "Casino Royale"
3. "Not a Photograph: The Mission of Burma Story"
Best Overall Good Vibe Moments:
1. Dems winning in November, Rumsfeld resigning the next day.
Best People Who Will Be Sorely Missed:
Malachi Ritscher, Larissa Strickland, James Tenney, Jason DiEmilio, Dewey Redman, Arthur Lee, Syd Barrett, Allan Kaprow, Nam June Paik, Bruce Loose, Gyorgi Ligeti, Darren "Wiz" Brown, Mariska Veres, Gerald Levert, Adrienne Shelly, Rogerio Duprat, Freddy Fender, Pip Pyle, Jessie Pintado, Duke Jordan, Grant McLennan, Malachi Thompson, Robbie "Rocket" Watts, Vince Welnick, June Pointer, Gene Pitney, Ian Rilen, Jackie McLean, Nikki Sudden, Don Alias, Buck Owens, Ali Farka Toure, Ivor Cutler, Charlie Hodge, Ray Barretto, Bill Cowsill, Elton Dean, Jason Sears, Thomas "Pig Champion" Roberts, Janette Carter
Worst People Who Will Not Be Missed:
Augusto Pinochet, Jeane Kirkpatrick, Markus Wolf, P.W. Botha (gets the gasface!), Ta Mok, Ken Lay, Eugene Landy
Ana-Mercedes Cardenas, Matador Records
Camera Obscura “ Let’s Get Out of This Country”
Peter Bjorn & John – “Writer’s Block”
Cat Power – “The Greatest”
Herbert – “Scale”
TV On the Radio – “Return To Cookie Mountain”
Destroyer – “Destroyer’s Rubies”
Hot Chip – “The Warning”
Beirut – “The Gulag Orkestar”
The Thermals – “The Body, The Blood, The Machine.”
Snowden – "Anti-Anti"
Jeremy P. Goldstein, Beggars Group
Silversun Pickups – Carnavas – Dangerbird
Placebo – Meds – Astralwerks
Clearlake – Amber – Domino
Hourly Radio – History Will Never Hold Me – Kirkland
Various – The World Is Gone – XL Recordings
Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit – Matador
Sunshine Underground – Raise The Alarm – City Rockers
Fields – Seven From The Village – Black Lab Records
Mogwai – Mr Beast – Matador
Muse – Black Holes & Revelations – Warner Brothers
Dave Martin, Matador Direct
1) Jay Reatard Blood Visions
2) Darling Downs How Can I Forget This Heart Of Mine
3. King Khan & BBQ Show What's For Dinner?
4) The Victoria Lucas Hit The Ground Running Fast
5) The Howling Hex Nightclub Version of the Eternal
6) The Leather Uppers Bright Lights
7) Don Caballero World Class Listening Problem
8) Major Stars Syntoptikon
9) Espers Espers II
10) (the) Melvins (a) Senile Animal
11) Tralala Is That The Tralala
12) Rainy Day Saints Diamond Star Highway
13) Extra Golden Ok-Oyot System
14) Goodnight Loving Cemetary Trails
15) Haunted George Panther Howl
1) Home Blitz Apocalyptic Grades
2) Hot Machines 2
3) Black and Whites Fucked Up Heart
4) Home Blitz Live Outside
5) Jay Reatard Hammer I Miss You
6) Meg Baird Waltze of the Tennis Players
7) Pissed Jeans Don't Need Smoke to Make Myself Disappear
8) Touch-Me-Nots Hey Television
9) Time Flys Reality is a Rock Band
10) caUSE co-MOTION Which Way Is Up
Old music, new again
1) The Fix At The Speed of Twisted Thought
2) Sonics Rendevous Band 6 CD box
3) V/A Rockin' Bones: 1950's Punk & Rockabilly
4) Neil Young & Crazy Horse Live At The Filmore East
5) The Sonics Busy Body b/w The Witch live at the Tacoma sports arena 1964
6) Arthur Lee Unissued 1965 Demos
7) Trouble Psalm 9
8) Trouble The Skull
9) Spencer/Dickinson The Man Who Lives For Love
10) Blight Detroit: The Dream Is Dead
Adam Bohl, Matador Direct
Entrance – Prayer of Death
Dark meat – Universal Indian
Bonnie "Prince" Billy – The Letting Go
Game – The Doctors Advocate
Pink Mountaintops – Axis of Evol
The Deadly Snakes – Porcella (vinyl version)
Various Artists – Rockin' Bones boxset
J Dilla – Donuts
The Black Angels – Passover
Wooden Wand and Vanishing Voice – Gypsy Freedom
Times New Viking – Dig Yourself (new to me in 2006)
Mike Holdsworth, Matador Records
Cat Power – The Greatest
Yo La Tengo – I Am Not Afraid of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
(I normally wouldn't include releases I work on but these records' genius far outstrip any bias I have toward Matador)
Bob Dylan – Modern Times
Ali Farka Toure – Savane
Vetiver – To Find Me Gone
Califone – (Roots & Crown) – if only for "The Orchids"
Tom Waits – Orphans
Chris Knox and the Nothing – Chris Knox and the Nothing
Fennesz – Endless Summer
Various – Version Dread – not strictly dubs, rather rocksteady versions
Delroy Wilson – Run Run
John Lee Hooker – It Serve You Right To Suffer
Karen Dalton – Its So Hard To Tell Who's Going To Love You The Best
Sir Henry at Rawlinson's End DVD
every Yo la Tengo and Cat Power performance I was present at
Slits, Buzzcocks & Don Letts DJing at Selfridges – surreal – and the Slits were righteous
the 15 minutes I caught of Fennesz at Touch Records 25th anniversary
Chris Knox Gina Birch double bill, Auckland NZ
Georges Braque – Alex Danchev
The Road To Oxiana – Robert Byron
Another Bullshit Night In Suck City – Nick Flynn
The Boy And The Sea – Kirsty Gunn
Don't Point That Thing At Me – Kryil Bonfiglioli
Music, Food And Love – Guo Yue
Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook (Recipes from Hunan province) – Fuschia Dunlop
How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life – John Fahey
Blue Swimmer Crab – Sean's Panorama, Sydney
Ox Tongue – The Cow, London
Bream and Oysters – Chez Bruce, London
O Palacio – Lisboa (food and scene)
Gambrinus – Lisboa (food and scene)
Ruairi Gilmore, Matador Records
2006 Favourites (not including Matador releases)
Scott Walker 'The Drift'
Carla Bozulich 'Evangelista'
The Knife 'Silent Shout'
Wiley 'Da 2nd Phaze', 'Tunnel Vision 1/2/3'
JME 'Boy Better Know', 'Poomplex', 'Derkhead/Tropical'
Magik Markers 'The Volodoror Dance'
Neckle Camp 'Straight Necklin'
TV On The Radio 'Return To Cookie Mountain'
Uncle Jim 'Superstars Of Greenwich Meantime'
Wolf Eyes 'Human Animal'
Califone 'Roots And Crowns'
Clipse 'Hell Hath No Fury'
Be Your Own Pet 'Be Your Own Pet'
Charalambides 'A Vintage Burden'
Six Organs Of Admittance 'The Sun Awakens'
Boris 'Pink', 'Dronevil: Final'
Venetian Snares 'Cavalcade of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom-Poms'
Islaja 'Live At Blaze Mountain'
Susanna And The Magical Orchestra 'Melody Mountain'
VA '100% Dynamite Dancehall'
VA 'What It Is: Funky Soul and Rare Grooves'
Om 'Conference Of The Birds'
Ricardo Villalobos 'Fizheuer Zieheuer'
I've probably left loads out…it's been such a good year.
The Wire (still the finest thing on TV, thanks Lucy)
Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe
A Cock And Bull Story
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
A Scanner Darkly
….and the countless Seagal efforts that have entertained me throughout the year.
Deftones, Electric Ballroom, London
All Tomorrow's Parties, Camber
everything that Upset The Rhythm (www.upsettherhythm.co.uk) put on
wonderful shows by Cat Power, Matmos, Brightblack and Yo La Tengo
Boris, Camden Underworld, London
Sunn O))) & Earth, Cockpit, Leeds
Patti Smith & Kevin Shields, QEH, London
Carla Bozulich, Luminaire, London
Silver Jews, Scala, London
Lavendar Diamond, Spitz, London
Ekkehard Ehlers, Spitz, London
Electric Picnic, Ireland
dj/rupture & Filastine, London
Fonal Records Showcase, St. Giles Church, London
Mogwai, ICA, London
Lucy Hurst, Matador Records
Lucy's top albums of the year
Oakley Hall – Second Guessing
Oakley Hall – Gypsum Strings
Peter, Bjorn And John – "Writer's Block"
Midlake – Trials of Van Occupanther
Belle and Sebastian – The Life Pursuit
Vetiver – To Find me Gone
Espers – Espers II
Joanna Newsom – Ys
Mogwai – Mr Beast
Beirut – Gulag Orkestar
Neko Case – Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
Love Is All – Nine Times That Same Song
Jenny Lewis – Rabbit Fur Coat
Psychic Ills – Dins
White Magic – "Dat Rosa Mel Apibus"
top Shows (that I can remember)
Lavender Diamond – at the Spitz
Cat Power – at the Barbican
Calexico/Beirut/Hawk and a Hacksaw – at The Roundhouse
Danielson + Jeff Lewis – at The Luminaire
Yo La Tengo – in Cambridge
Neko Case – at Irving Plaza
M Ward – at Warsaw
The New Pornographers – at ATP in March
Sonic Youth – at ATP in Dec
Lemonheads – Forum
Mogwai – at Royal Albert Hall
Little Miss Sunshine
Science Of Sleep
The New World
The Beat That My Heart Skipped
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
Danielson A Family movie – or make a joyful noise here
Mark Ohe, Matador Records
Ali Farka Toure – Savane (World Circuit)
Boards Of Canada – Trans Canada Highway (Warp)
Shearwater "Palo Santo" (Misra)
TK Webb – Phantom Parade (The Social Registry)
Brightblack Morning Light – ST (Matador)
Various – Tetes Lourdes: Francais Metal de Proto (Seidr)
Stephen Apicella-Hitchcock – A Triangulation (Self Released)
Pavement – Wowee Zowee Sordid Sentinels Edition (Matador)
Chavez – Better Days Will Haunt You (Matador)
This Heat – Out of Cold Storage (ReR)
Patrick Amory (Matador Records), Best of 2006 (or 2005, or 2007)
Shearwater – Palo Santo CD (Misra, 2006)
Lavender Diamond – The Cavalry of Light CDEP (self-released, 2006)
Pearls and Brass – The Indian Tower LP (Drag City, 2005)
P.G. Six – Slightly Sorry unmastered CDR (Drag City, 2007)
Baby Dee – Made For Love CDEP (Durtro, 2005)
Jeffrey Jensen and Andrew Earles – Just "Farr" A Laugh II CDR (to come out 2007)
Espers – II LP (Drag City, 2006)
White Magic – Dat Rosa Mel Apibus dbl LP (Drag City, 2006)
Mission Of Burma – The Obliterati dbl LP (Matador, 2006)
Bill Fay Group – Tomorrow Tomorrow and Tomorrow LP (Drag City, 2006)
Gerard Cosloy, Matador Records
my favorite things from 2006 :
Boris – Pink (Southern Lord)
Sonic Youth – Rather Ripped (Geffen)
Bottomless Pit – Tour CDR
Shearwater – Palo Santo (Misra)
Steffen Basho-Junghans – Last Days of The Dragon (Locust)
Jay Reatard – Blood Visions (In The Red)
David Bazan – Fewer Moving Parts (Jade Tree)
Mrs. John Soda – Notes & The Like (Morr Music)
The Distant Seconds – "Gertrude Stein" (demo)
The Futureheads – News & Tributes (Vagrant / Startime)
The Blood Brothers – Young Machetes (V2)
Tommy Keene – Crashing The Ether (1130)
TK Webb – Phantom Parade (The Social Registry)
The Dead C. – Vain, Erudite & Stupid (Badabing)
Mr. Lif – Mo' Mega (Def Jux)
Jesu – Silver (Hydrahead)
The first 16 innings of the 2006 NLCS
day to day life in the adopted home of Jimmy Flemion, Bill Callahan and Ian McLagan